In part 1 of our deep dive into the Rebuild here, we looked at the trades from the 2014-15 offseason and gauged the Lost Value vs. Gained Value comparative to actual dollars that came and went in the deals. Today, we’ll do the same, but our focus turns to 2015 In-Season Trades.
2014-15 Braves Offseason: In-season Moves
- May 27, 2015: Traded Alberto Callaspo, Juan Jaime, Eric Stults Ian Thomas to Los Angeles Dodgers. Received Juan Uribe , Chris Withrow.
- June 20, 2015: Traded Phil Gosselin to Arizona Diamondbacks. Received Bronson Arroyo, Touki Toussaint.
- July 24, 2015: Traded Kelly Johnson and Juan Uribe to New York Mets. Received John Gant and Rob Whalen.
- July 30, 2015: Traded Bronson Arroyo, Luis Avilan, Jim Johnson, Jose Peraza and Alex Wood to the Los Angeles Dodgers. Received Zachary Bird, Héctor Olivera, Paco Rodriguez from the Los Angeles Dodgers and 2016 competitive balance round A pick (turned into Joey Wentz) from the Miami Marlins.
- August 7, 2015: Traded Chris Johnson to the Cleveland Indians. Received Michael Bourn, Nick Swisher and cash.
- August 31, 2015: Traded Jonny Gomes and cash to the Kansas City Royals. Received Luis Valenzuela.
2015 Braves In-Season Trades: Value Outgoing
- Alberto Callaspo, Juan Jaime, Eric Stults and Ian Thomas: 0.6 fWAR, 4.15 MM cost, 4.8MM value.
- Phil Gosselin: 0.8 fWAR, .4 MM cost, 6.4 MM value
- Kelly Johnson, Juan Uribe: 0.6 fWAR, 3.6 MM cost, 4.8MM value
- Bronson Arroyo, Luis Avilan, Jim Johnson, Jose Peraza, Alex Wood: 9.6 fWAR, 21.4 MM cost, 76.8 MM value
- Chris Johnson: -0.1 fWAR, cost 34MM (19MM +15MM from CLE), -0.8 MM value.
- Jonny Gomes: -0.2 fWAR, cost 1.6MM, -1.6MM value
Outgoing Production: 11.3 fWAR, 90.4MM
Total Cost: 64.16 MM
26.24 MM of lost production
2015 Braves In-Season Trades: Value Incoming
- Juan Uribe and Chris Withrow: 1.2 fWAR, cost 3.1 MM, 9.6 MM value
- Bronson Arroyo and Touki Toussaint: 0.2 fWAR, cost 6.8 MM, 1.6 MM value
- John Gant and Rob Whalen: 0.3 fWAR, cost 0.6 MM, 2.4 MM value
- Zachary Bird , Héctor Olivera, Paco Rodriguez and 2016 competitive balance round A pick (turned into Joey Wentz): -0.3 fWAR, cost 28.5 MM, -2.4 MM value
- Michael Bourn and Nick Swisher: -0.3 fWAR, cost 23 MM, -2.6 MM value
- Luis Valenzuela: No MLB cost or value
Total Value Incoming: 1.1 fWAR, 8.8 MM
Total Cost Incoming: 62 MM
-53.2 MM of gained production
Damn you, Hector Olivera!
Combining the data in the first 2 pieces, the 2014-15 Offseason Trades and In-season Trades the Olivera deal completely wiped out all positive value:
- +59.03 MM of gained production in Part 1
- -79.5 MM of gained production in Part 2
Total: -20.47 MM in gained production
Thanks for reading “The Rebuild: Lost Value vs. Gained Value, Part 2: 2015 In-Season Trades”. If you’re enjoying this series, check out our Braves History category here.