This game is not worth much of a recap. Here’s what I’ve got.
1. Bad Julio is back with a vengeance. His playoff role needs to be seriously reconsidered. 2.1 innings, 6 hits, 1 W, 2 HBPs, 1K, 6 runs. Even without giving up any HRs, he managed to lose a game in one inning. That is not good.
2. Acuna left after 2 1/2 innings with some sort of hip flexor. That is not good.
3. Ozzie can hit. That is pretty darn good. The difference between Ozzie and Ronald or Freddie is that Ozzie cannot yet win a game all by himself. He really tried tonight with a single, double and HR. Ozzie can also get hit by pitch. That better not be a bad thing. The HR was lefthanded by the way and after the HBP – I love Ozzie. That is a good thing.
4. Cervelli will be a good asset to have around on a playoff team. That is good. He woke the team briefly out its stupor with a nice solo shot in the 5th. But the Braves could only score one more and left the bases loaded when the clutch hit would not come. That is not good.
5. Dayton can pitch – he may yet pitch his way into the playoffs. But Swarzak cannot. That is, pitch or get into the playoffs.
6. Blevins should never pitch to righties. Ever. Actually, he also gave up a double to a lefty. That is not good.
7. Nick is in May form. That is good. 2 doubles, a walk, and 2 RBIs is a good night’s work at the plate. Donaldson is also in May form. That is not good. Can we bring Musgrove to the playoffs with us?
8. 3 Ks in 4 ABs. That is not good. Riley is not ready for the playoffs. Not sure Dansby is either. Because one hard hit single does not mean he’s hitting again.
9. O’Day is worthy of a playoff roster spot. The two Ks speaks louder than the double and HBP. That is good. Martin is spot on his game, too, with a real clean inning. That is good, too.
9. Royals beat the Braves 9-6. So nothing about this game screams “ready for playoffs”. That is not good.